This is probably the most well know way of eating black cod and is made using a marinade of sweetened miso. Simple to execute and you’ll feel like you’re dining out at a top Japanese restaurant.
Serves 4 Cooking Time: 30 mins (plus 24hr resting time)
- Bring the sake and miring to the boil and simmer for 30 seconds to allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Turn down the heat and add the miso paste, whisk until dissolved then add the sugar. Turn up the heat and simmer, whisking constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely
- Marinate the black cod fillets in the miso paste, ideally for at least 24 hours to maximise flavour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC. Remove the fish from the marinade and wipe off any excess. Heat a little oil over a medium heat and fry the fish skin side down for 3 minutes, turn over and cook on the flesh side for 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Transfer to an oven tray skin side down and bake for 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish fillets
- Serve with steamed rice and greens