This dish is inspired by one similar from Michelin starred Kai in London. It has a beautiful balance of sweet spice with succulent yet crispy jumbo prawns. What’s not to love!
Great for sharing Cooking Time: 15 mins
½ tsp wasabi paste
2-3 tsp water
½ ripe mango
Tobikko for garnish
Vegetable oil for frying
- Defrost the prawns.
- If using tobikko, use a spoon to scoop out some of the frozen eggs to defrost and return the rest of the box to the freezer.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and wasabi paste, add the water a teaspoon at a time to loosen the mixture, it should be about the same consistency as double cream.
- Puree the mango until as smooth as possible
- Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil in a wok over a medium/high heat. Toss the prawns in the cornflour to coat them then add them to the hot oil one by one so they don’t stick together, fry for 3-3 ½ minutes until light golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them the prawns to a bowl then pour over the wasabi mayonnaise and toss to coat the prawns.
- Spoon some mango puree onto your serving plate, arrange the crispy prawns on top then finish with a garnish of the tobikko.